Bond School was initiated as a private kindergarten by Mrs. Sweet Upson. The first county certified teacher, Mrs. Dorothy Tookes, was instrumental in the development of the first school program in the Bond subdivision. The first classes began November 11, 1935, in the Saint John Missionary Baptist Church.
The three teachers, Lillie Smith-Davis, Lucinda Lawrence, and Mrs. Tookes, and the community raised $250.00 toward the purchase of property for the school. In 1938 the county constructed the first school building which consisted of a four room white frame building. Mrs. Tookes was the first principal of Bond School.
Mrs. Tooke's influence was far-reaching and the enrollment of the school increased to the extent that more space was needed. By 1940 Flipper Chapel A.M.E Church was obtained to house Grades Four, Five, and Six.
In 1939 Mr. E.D. Fears was named principal with a staff of six teachers. When Mr. Fears accepted a position at Florida A and M College, Mr. Everett A.Kershaw became principal. During this time the class in physical education was formed, and the seventh grade was added.
Under the next administration tl942-1951) with Miss E. Lillian Spencer as principal, Bond became an Elementary-Junior High School. Statewide recognition in athletics was gained, and trophies from those years are displayed in the Media Center. By 1949 increased enrollment necessitated construction of another building. As a result, the county built the main building for $46,000.
By 1951 crowded conditions led to the construction of Annex A at a cost of $110,000. Mr. Walton S. Seabrooks became principal in 1951 of 807 pupils and 26 faculty members. A special sight-saving class was initiated.
In 1952 to relieve the crowded conditions, the county obtained the use of Campbell Nursery School on Osceola Street from Miss Ruby Diamond. This was used for first grade and for the first class for the mentally retarded.
Annex B was built in 1953, containing six classrooms, a media center, a clinic, a teachers' lounge, a kitchen, and a cafetorium, at a cost of $200,000. The dedication of Bond School was held November 21, 1954. In 1957 Southwest Elementary (now Pineview) was built to accommodate some of Bond's students. In 1958 the junior high grades (7-9) were transferred to the newly built R. Frank Nims Junior High School.
The 1969-1970 district plan for desegregation reduced enrollment at Bond in order to attain a 70-30 ratio of black-white student population. In 1971 the original 1938 frame building was dismantled. Bond School now consisted of 22 classrooms, media center, clinic, teachers' lounge, kitchen, and cafetorium.
Mr. Seabrooks retired at the close of the 1972-73 term and Mrs. M. Lucite Willie-" was appointed principal. In 1973-74 the enrollment was 310 students. The District Gifted Program was housed at Bond. The Community School Program began in March, 1974, with Sylvia Seaman as coordinator, succeeded by Gwen Gregory Peters, the current coordinator. In 1975-76 the Gifted Program was moved to the FAMU campus.
The neighborhood library, Page One, a branch of the Leon County Public Library, and the Walker Pond Community Center, sponsored by the City of Tallahassee, were located adjacent to the campus, thereby extending the facilities to serve Bond's educational program.
In 1976-77, the Florida Department of Education initiated the Florida Linkage system to aid schools scoring low on the SSAT in identifying their problems and selecting a solution. Bond was selected as one of the site schools. individually Guided Education (IGE) was selected by the Bond faculty as the approach to use in seeking a solution to their problem.
Various programs were instituted to broaden the teacher-learning opportunities during the next five years. Pre-kindergarten classes for three and four-year o1ds were funded in September, 1977, through Title I. A full-time assistant principal for curriculum, Mrs. Mary Jane B. Thurston, was hired. IGE was fully implemented for the 1978-79 school year. Multi-age, multi-level units were established and unit leaders were selected. The Instructional Improvement Committee (IIC) was organized. The EMS class was moved to Leonard Wesson Elementary School In 1979-80 children were served throughout the district in the Pre-Kindergarten Language Delayed Program. It was transferred to Ruediger Elementary School the next year. A bilingual program was added in September, 1980 to serve children throughout the district. The Prescriptive Learning Reading Lab was adopted and installed as the Title I program for grades 3-5. In 1982 a Specific Learning Disabilities class was added to the program.
Many changes in the facilities were made between 1977-1982. The improvements included painting, roofing, carpeting, heating, fencing, renovating bathrooms, installing windows and blinds, and improving the furnishings, ceilings and ventilation systems.
In June, 1981, after 25 years of service to Bond School and 33 years of service to the Bond Community, Mrs. Williams was appointed District Coordinator of Elementary Education. Mrs. Williams came to Bond as a mathematics and English teacher in 1949. She served as an administrative assistant and assistant principal as well as principal.
Mr. W.E. (Bill) Johnson was appointed principal in August, 1981. The Smith/ Williams Community Service Center, located adjacent to Walker/Ford, was dedicated October 11, 1981. It houses a branch library, a health care clinic, and a day care facility.